The automatique portion of this painting is like the animals do. The the paint which hits the canvas is only a part of the painting.

I call this a graphic technique. When the paint was applied it looked like an opaque pastel blue/green. Because the mixture of phthalo blue and phthalo green were "pure" and not mixed with white but rather with transparent polymer the paint dried with a colour mixed affect of the underlying layers through south sea green.

This definition of "graphic" comes from paper edition graphics in which the drawing and painting occurs on a different surface than the final print does. The artist must imagine or "conceptualize" the appearance of the colour application.

In the words of Forest Gump: It's like a box of chocolates. But once the graphic artist acquires some experience, if they are capable of learning symbolically, they might be able to anticipate an out come... like a graphic artist.

Layering colours upon colours is also a graphic technique. In paper printing all tones can be achieved by the primary coloured inks, black, and the paper white. An example of this is: yellow printed on blue makes green... so, a yellow tinted clear coat on blue should look green?

I have no idea how graphics became "graphic content" or computer graphics or mono printing (monotype) or drawing or photography. I am glad I'm an artist and not a lexicographer. If I was I'd be insanely angry all the time.

I began a new panel, "Tourist@Home12" watercolour pencil on acrylic on 46 x 61 cm (18 x 24 in) ply panel. I am not good at watching paint dry. I missed that course in art school.




<< next
back >>